Friday, November 30, 2012

Girl Talk: Dealing With "The Cramps" With Essential Oils

If there are any dudes reading this post, you probably want to leave...
...as in stop reading...
...as in leave this site...
...as in this post ain't for you...

So yesterday, I was singing this to myself...






My lady friend paid a call and was not only toying with my emotions, she was also causing me great pain. Yesterday morning I took 2 Advil (as is my normal course of action for said cramps) and felt much better. Unfortunately, the pain meds started to wear off in the midst of my grocery shopping trip. Once I got home, I was in the kind of pain you can feel all the way to the bottom of your feet. Yeah, no fun. I really really really didn't want to take another Advil yet, so I decided to look for some other options.

About a year and a half ago I bought a starter kit from an essential oils company. I used them for a while and loved them, but eventually just got out of the habit till recently. I pulled out my big book of essential oils to see if I had any recommended for cramps, and it turned out I had 2!


I just spread a couple of drops of lavender and then a couple of drops of peppermint on my lower abdominal area and had relief in minutes. Seriously, had I taken pain meds it would have taken probably 20 or 30 minutes for it to help. I was feeling miserable and then 5 minutes later feeling MUCH better! Woot! I was still tired, and my feet were still hurting a little (but not as bad). Resting on the couch with a heating pad helped out a lot, too. In the future, I definitely will be using these before I used Advil. 

One thing to remember: If you are going to try this be sure to get essential oils and not scented oils. For reasons why, click here.

Also, I am not a doctor or an essential oils expert. I'm simply sharing what has worked for me. 

4 comments:

  1. I love Thieves essential oils! If you ever feel a sore throat coming on, try their cough drops. Instead of just masking the pain, they are full of good things that kill bacteria. I've warded of a couple of colds already with them. A super awesome thing for a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for relief! Love you girl.

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks y'all! Andrea, I have some Thieves oil. Thanks for the tip! I tend to get sick often during cold and flu season. Looking forward to using that oil as prevention from now on!

    ReplyDelete