Thursday, May 9, 2013

That Post About Birthcontrol, Part 1



I don't know why, but for some reason this picture fits.

So, these posts has been on my heart for a while. I've been mulling over in my head what I wanted to say and how I wanted to say it. I mean, does my limited readership really want to know how Garett and I feel about birthcontrol and how we go about that? I don't know, well scratch that, at least two people care because they've sent me personal messages on Facebook asking. So, if you do care, this post is for you. If you don't care, then feel free to do with these posts as you wish.

So, before I get to the "how", I'd like to explain our "why." I don't take chemical birthcontrol in any shape, form, or fashion. Yes, while some of you scratch your head wondering, "How in the world is she not pregnant?" and other of you immediately start planning my church baby shower, let me explain why. 

Firstly, chemical birthcontrol *can* cause an early term abortion. While you will have to dig for that information and while your doctor may not tell you that upfront, it's true. Chemical birthcontrol has 3 basic "jobs" 1) To prevent ovulation, 2) to thicken cervical fluid so that the sperm has a more difficult time getting to the egg if by chance there is breakthrough ovulation, and 3) to change the lining of the uterus to make it difficult if not impossible for a fertilized egg, aka a baby, to implant. As a Christian, it's number 3 that really pricks my conscience. I just can't knowingly take medication that has the purpose of preventing implantation. My friends, Cindy and Amber, have written on this topic as well and have done their research. If you'd like more information, check out their blog posts.

Lastly, I just don't want to put all those chemicals in my body. The possible side effects just aren't worth it. Blood clots, depression, mood swings, and low libido just to name a few. I don't want to take medication to stop a bodily function that is working exactly the way it is supposed to be working. I wouldn't take meds to cause an imbalance in my skin or to cause my heart to pump less blood or change the lining of my stomach so that it has a harder time digesting food. That's just counter intuitive. So why would I want to affect my fertility in such a way? That just doesn't fly in the Playing Household. 

Before I sign off for part 1 of this series, I don't want this to come across as judgmental or mean or anything like that. I just want couples to know that there are other options and maybe cause people to think. So please, be kind in your comments and hold out for the rest of the series before calling me crazy. And if you still think I'm crazy when this is all over with, I'm ok with that ;-)

5 comments:

  1. I am proud of your decisions, of your research and of your sweet spirit that is also evident in not wanting to come across harsh while sharing your personal convictions that you have come to as a married couple. Thank you for your bravery to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written, and it all certainly makes sense. God bless you for your tender heart.

    Carolyn Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more! Great blog post, Lori Lynn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a post!! it's really and truly a post from Lur!!! (yes, i'm just a tad excited ;P) even if it is about birth control (yuck!!), i'm super excited you posted. haha! ;D

    love you and miss you a ton!! happy future mother's day to you tomorrow. :)

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well said, Lori Lynn; thanks for your courage to post! Love you

    ReplyDelete