Thursday, June 13, 2013

Food Sensitivities Musings

Photo Credit
So, recently I was diagnosed with quite a few food sensitivities that I just wasn't expecting. When the diagnostic panel came back, the fact that my body is highly sensitive to wheat, rye, barley and gluten was no surprise since I have Celiac disease (actually, my body is intolerant of these foods, there is a difference). What surprised me, is that number wise, my body is more sensitive to coconut (0.613), oats (0.899), and black walnuts (0.688), than it is to wheat (0.609); bakers yeast and sesame are also high on the list. And these are only the things I'm highly sensitive to! There are things that I eat all the time (asparagus, carrots, celery, garlic, peanuts, and sunflower seeds) that I'm mildly or moderately sensitive to.

Honestly, I feel myself sinking into depression over this, and the full diagnostic panel hasn't even come back yet. It's so discouraging when all the foods mentioned above are healthy foods, things I was putting in my body thinking it was good for me, and realizing I wasn't doing myself any favors.

I'm at a crossroads right now. I can choose to let this get me down or I can choose not to play victim. Even though I'm crying as I type this, I'm choosing not to play victim. Sure, there are going to be times that I'm just sick of my diet restrictions, but I really want to focus on what I CAN have as apposed to what I can't have.

Honestly, this is going to be tough! I go through a box of granola cereal a week (think oats and coconut, 2 big no-nos!). There are so many things on this list that I eat all the time, but I want to feel better. I'm tired all the time. My joints ache often. Sometimes I just feel so foggy headed with no explanation. I'm 21 and feel 81. I'm realizing that there is going to be very little processed food that I can eat. Call me crunchy, but I'm ok with that. I've just got to start making more kitchen staples out of Lurly kosher* foods. And thank goodness coffee isn't on the no-no list!

*Lurly kosher is a term coined by my husband for foods that are ok for me to eat.

PS. I haven't forgotten about part 2 of the birthcontrol posts! If y'all follow my blog, you know I'm not consistent at posting. It will get there eventually ;-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Lur, this must be so difficult! :'( I admire you for being such a trooper. I wish I could give you a BIG BIG BIG hug right now. Love you and miss you.

    xo
    purposelyathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog today, which is strange because I just read this guys blog post on natural yeast and celiac disease and gluten intolerance, please read it, it might help you. (although, you'd have to start baking your own breads probably and growing your own yeast at home)

    http://calebwarnock.blogspot.com/2012/06/how-does-natural-yeast-effect-gluten.html

    There might be more than one post on that subject there on his blog, because he has written several books including one on baking breads made with natural yeast (you know the kind you start and grow yourself at home to make sourdough type breads)

    I guess people have claimed that there's a difference in the type of yeast, and that homegrown natural yeast actually eats and digests the gluten. There have been gluten intolerant people who've eaten breads made with natural yeasts and have had no problem, although if you have other wheat related allergy besides just gluten intolerance I don't know if this will help you.

    Just a thought, also there are tons of different types of flour out there nowadays that don't even have any wheat in them, like rice flours and such. Don't lose hope, where there's a problem there's always a solution.....and honestly things can always get worse you know.

    Good luck, I just thought I'd mention that, maybe it will help you out

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. For people with Food Sensitivities it is quite annoying to leave out certain food items from their meals some of which might be the most to their liking

    ReplyDelete